Sunday, August 4, 2013

Just a little



When I was 13 I kept a "gratitude journal" for a few months. I don't know where I got this idea from or why I started, but everyday I would write down five things I was grateful for (actually it took me a few weeks to realise that it wasn't spelt "greatful", which seemed illogical to my indignant self at the time). A little ironically (or perhaps appropriately) the journal I used had a mournful Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh on the front cover.

Similarly I'm not sure why I've come back here now but I think it has something to do with why that eager teenage girl started collecting the good parts of each day in a lined notebook. I recently started my first "real" job post university and working all day every weekday (shock horror) has been a bit of an adjustment. This weekend I attended the launch of kiwi Eleanor Catton's already critically acclaimed The Luminaries at the Wellington gem Unity Bookstore. I was surrounded by people for whom literature and creativity are foremost in their lives. I thought of how reading has recently been relegated to the last half hour of my days where it takes on a sleep-inducing role rather than an invigorating one. And I remembered that one of the things I love about writing and recording and photos is that they can crystallise those ordinary amazing fleeting things that happen every day. And so ... I decided to try coming back here for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment